Thursday, December 9

Holidays

I've always liked the holidays. People laughing, smiling. The twinkling lights of decorated trees and houses. The smell of fresh baked goods. It all gives me a warm feeling inside that is incomparable to anything other than love. I have the greatest example of love in the world, my parents. High school sweethearts, married for 27 years, together for 30. The thought of it makes me smile.

This year for the holidays I'm going to experience something new. My brother is married and out of the house we both grew up in. My grandmother has moved out of the state. My other grandparents have moved two states away. I'm working a job where I'm going to have to work Christmas Eve and Day. Normally, Christmas Day is spent waking up and making coffee (though not for me, I despise coffee), watching a random Christmas movie, and opening gifts given to me by loved ones. Then it's off the Grandma's house for more gifts and food that any Italian restaurant would be jealous of. This year.. this year is going to be a little different.

My brother is spending the holidays with his in-laws. My Mom and Dad are going to visit my Mom's parents on Christmas Eve and then drive to my Grandmother's (who is my Dad's mom) for Christmas Day and taking the dogs with them. I will be left alone, with a beautiful tree that Bear, my Mom, and myself decorated. Wrapped gifts will shimmer under the tree lights. I'll wake up to an empty house, shower, eat, and get ready for work. I'll work and come home, exhausted. What to do when I do come home? Only the day will tell.

New experiences are always around the corner. I just hope I'm ready for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment